August 1, 2007

Vacation






It's been a while. Needless to say things at the Brewer house have been very busy. I guess that's summer and life with four little ones. Thought I'd go back a little while and start with vacation. We went to Hilton Head Island in South Carolina with my parents and sister for a week. It was great! Aside from the very long drive, I think it is a GREAT beach for little kids. No waves, warm water, lots of space on the beach, and not very crowded. We did lots of fun stuff like mini- golf, the beach, a dolphin watching cruise, kayaking (just Dave and I), fireworks, and late night trips to the pool. It was so great to be together. It's neat to watch how vacations change as the kids get older. It gets easier! Not that is was totally restful, but I didn't come home feeling like I needed a vacation! I did have to share the most memorable moment of the whole trip. It actually happened even before we left our house. We had decided to get the kids up VERY early the morning we were leaving. The plan was for Dave and I to get up at 3:30am finish packing the car and get the kids up at 4am. Our logic behind this was hopefully they would be so tired later in the day that they would actually fall asleep in the car at some point. So, 4am comes, we get them up, in the car, buckled in ready to go. Dave goes to start the car and we have a dead battery. I had plugged in the DVD players the night before. I thought I had turned them off, but I had actually turned them to stand by. They are powered by the ligther thing in the car, so it had been sucking power out of the battery all night. Trying to remain calm, I say to Dave, "no problem, let's just get the jumper cables and jump the car using the truck." His response, "I don't have jumper cables". Trying to make light of what I could I say "You failed at this man job." Long story short, we called my parents who were not supposed to leave until 6:30 and asked them if we could come and get some jumper cables. (can't exactly ask the neighbor at 4 in the morning) My parents graciously got up and came down to jump our van. We finally got on the road around 5:15 and all caravanned down together. How did the kids do? They were amazing! Aside from a few whines here and there, they just sat in the car with their granola bars and milk while Dave and I sat on the driveway and watched the sun come up!

No comments: