February 18, 2008

How are we doing?


People have been so kind to ask how we are doing. It can be a difficult question to answer at times. I’m not sure I will be able to communicate effectively how we feel, but I’m going to try. Phillipians 4:6-7 says, “…do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, through prayer and supplication let your requests be known to God, and the peace that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
First, let me say that we are so grateful for all your prayers. We keep saying we feel “carried” by them. It is a hard to adequately explain in words, but there are so many times that we say to each other, as we are being inundated with constant information, that we are so glad people are praying because we feel like we are spending so much time in meetings that we are glad others are praying when we are unable to. Prayer is the greatest thing you could do for us! And let me say, your prayers are being answered.
Second, the verse says that the peace that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds. There have been a few times that people have asked, are you guys really doing okay? I guess surprised that with the magnitude of what we are facing that we could possibly be doing okay. While there is still much grief and sadness, we are experiencing so much peace. A peace that really I cannot understand, other than it must be from God, because left to myself this would not be how I would be feeling. I also feel like the Lord has guarded our hearts and minds in the way that we have been able to process all this information in light of the cross. Even with all the information and news we receive, our hope is not in what all the doctors have to say, but rather our hope is in what Christ has already done, on the cross. He sent his son to die for our sins. So when I think in this way, I realize that Christ has already taken care of Sarah’s greatest need. Our greatest need isn't for health, or a good diagnosis, or for the meds to work (all those are great blessings from God), our GREATEST need is for a Savior. God took care of that greatest need by crushing his son in our place, and giving to us His righteousness. If he did this, won't he also give us the grace to walk through trials?
So, how are we doing? We are clinging to the truth of God's word, we are freshly grateful for the cross, and we are grateful for the all those who are carrying this burden with us.

Jen

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a priceless picture of you and Sarah! I love it! Best of luck tomorrow and the rest of the week!

Kisses to Sarah,
Dawn, Mike & Tyler

Jessica said...

Jen,
So glad to read your post and hear how you are doing. You were on my heart specifically today and I was praying for God's peace for you during this time. You are such an encouragement to me in the way you are walking through this season. I love you, friend!
Jess

Briana Almengor said...

Sweet picture. Precious baby. Wonderful parents. Amazing God!
love you all...praying so often through my days.

Anonymous said...

Dear Brewers:

This scripture came to mind as I read today's post. Romans 15:13 -
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Your peace during this trial is evidence of your trust in Him. Praying for your family.

Kim Ruhling

Lisa @ Eat.Pray.Run. said...

Sarah is SO CUTE! (Last time I saw her was when she was in Jen's belly--so, needless to say, it's been a while) Glad to know you've been feeling the peace and comfort we've all been praying for you to have. You'll continue to be on our mind and in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture of you and Sarah!! I think about you and pray for you every day.

Love to all,
Aunt Pat

Jonalee said...

So encouraging to read this! Thanks for your example! Praying, praying, praying...

jonalee

Malcolm Six said...

What beautiful words, Jen. Your peace and faith in God are wonderful to see. We continue to print out all the pictures and are making a collage on our kitchen cabinets. Love you guys! Praying every day, throughout the day.
Linda (for the Malcolms)

Anonymous said...

Jen and family- you are in my thoughts and prayers. What a challenging time for you all! Thank God for family and friends during these times. Know that Sarah and the whole Brew Crew is being prayed for in FL and I will add you to our prayer list at church. Continue to have faith and keep us all updated on the blog! Love to you all- Georgia and family!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing how you are doing. We are continuing to pray for you guys!!
Love Danielle

Noelle said...

I just read your whole story.. You have had a very rough quick rollercoaster over the past few days. I am so sorry. I wanted to write to encourage you with my family's story.
my neice Anna was diagnosed with Luekemia when she was 2 years old, I'll never forget that day, as I am sure you will never forget the day you went to the doctor with Sarah. Anna went through two years of treatment (consisting of harsh chemotherapy) before she relapsed and started over, four and a half years later of radiation and chemo and what must have been at least a hundred spinal taps and many many tests throughout the years, she has been cured. We are grateful beyond words to be out of this trial, But will never forget.

God is faithful, God is good.

My heart goes out to you in this season, and little Sarah is just precious. Anna is now 7, and is a firecracker. My prayers are with your family.
I remember how encouraging it was, when we were in the midst of her treatment to hear stories of those who were out of treatment and cured. So, even though it's not the same cancer, I hope this has been encouraging..

Anonymous said...

I saw a prayer request for you on Josh Harris' blog; I prayed for you this evening, from Stillman Valley, IL.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Meg, we are updated by this link and hold all of you in prayer. Please know that our family in Tacoma, Washington cares deeply for you and you are on our prayer chain here. Blessings, Adrienne Howe

Conor and Koren said...

Hello. My husband and I are missionaries in Ukraine. We often log on to J. Harris' sight and found your pray request and link there. You have a beautiful baby girl and we will be praying for her. We went through a very hard, similar time a couple of years ago. I too felt like we were being carried by the prayers of our sisters and brothers. God not only held us in His peace, but He showed us His beauty and grace in ways that I will never forget. Right now, I'm thinking of how He blessed us with such a beautiful family in Him. The Body of Christ is amazing. It is during these times that we really see all that God meant it to be and I pray that you would continue to be blessed and encouraged and lifted up by all those around you. Thank you for your faith and your encouragement to cling to God's Word. As I am trying to hold back the tears, I am blessed so deeply by our Beautiful Savior! We will be checking here for updates and will be praying for that beautiful little one.

eva said...

Thanks for your example. What a great way to answer that question!
Still praying!
Love,
Eva