February 8, 2009

February 8

One year ago our lives were forever changed. Today marks the day when we heard the words, "your daughter has a tumor". In some ways I can't believe a year has gone by. In other ways it feels like just yesterday. The details of those first few hours are so vivid in my mind. These are pictures that Dave took on his phone exactly one year ago today, as we waited in the hospital room to hear the results of Sarah's MRI.




I have spent time the last week (as I often do) reading all the scripture verses that people sent me during that time as well as the blog entries Dave and I made. My emotions are all over the map, but I think that is normal. Not a day goes by that I am not sad for my girlie as I watch her endure all that she does. BUT, as I read our blog, I am also freshly aware of God's nearness to us during that time as well. Re-reading all those entries really has encouraged my soul. Seeing all the prayers that God answered in those first few weeks is really amazing. As time goes by, and days continue to be emotionally and physically hard, I can be discouraged that the future is uncertain. But when I take time to focus on the truth of God's word, and all that He has already done, it brings encouragement to my soul. One song in particular has taken on new meaning to me as well.

How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
is laid for your faith in his excellent word!
What more can he say than to you he hath said,
to you that for refuge to Jesus have fled?

"Fear not, I am with thee; O be not dismayed!
For I am thy God, and will still give thee aid;
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.

"When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
the rivers of woe shall not thee overflow;
for I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
and sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

"When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
my grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply;
the flame shall not hurt thee; I only design
thy dross to consume, and thy gold to refine.

"The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose,
I will not, I will not desert to its foes;
that soul, though all hell shall endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no, never, no, never forsake."

This past year has drawn us closer to the Lord and developed a dependence on Him like I've never known. Each day is a fight for faith...but each day, His mercy is new to me. Not only has my relationship with the Lord deepened, but His church has become more precious to me as well. So many people have made sacrifices of time and money to care for our family, both practically and spiritually. These people truly represent the love of God in tangible ways.



I would be remiss if I didn't mention what this trial has done for our marriage and our family. There have been many nights during this last year where Dave has listened to my tears. He has been able to grieve with me while speaking truth that I need to hear. We discussed early on how important communication was going to be. We had no idea how true that was. I am so grateful for Dave and how he has allowed me to tell him whatever I am feeling. I have never felt like he didn't understand. Even when my thoughts or feelings don't make sense he just holds me and lets me cry. I am so grateful to be walking this road with him by my side.



The other kids- they are amazing. They have learned to be so compassionate and patient with their little sister. They have had to learn to be others focused because of the many sacrifices they have had to make. Having to go from home schooling to private school, many more babysitters, not being able to go places because of germs...all this with very little complaining. The other three kids joyfully respond when we tell them we can't do something because of Sarah. How grateful I am to watch them love their sister. They really seem to understand the seriousness of her cancer and how it has changed our lives.

Hebrews 10:23- Let us hold fast to the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.

The sorrow that humbles us and drives us closer to God is a blessing and a positive gain.- JC Ryle

On this day, as we look back on the last year, we see Sarah doing so much better in many ways. We continue to pray for healing for Sarah in whatever way God chooses.

12 comments:

Rebekah said...

Continuing to pray for Sarah and all your family, and rejoicing in God's goodness and mercy this past year.

Helen said...

Beautiful post, Jen. Thanks for sharing your heart and how God is at work in your lives. You all are such an encouragement to Matt and I. Sarah is a joy and delight to all who know her-we are praying for her healing and for grace for the days ahead. love you!
helen

Georgia said...

Jen- your writing and faithfulness is amazing! Can't believe it has been a year- I am sad that it was something like this that got us back in touch, but so thankful to have you back in my life! We continue to pray for you all and hope this year is better than last!

Mrs. David Hankins said...

It's hard to believe that I have been following your blog for a year. I don't know you, but one of the other blogs I read (can't remember which one now) had asked us to pray and your story touched me...I have a little girl the same age. Every time I saw her, I was reminded to pray for you all. I'm praising God for His faithfulness to your family!! Thanks for sharing!

Warmly,
Elizabeth

Mari said...

I still remember receiving the voicemail from Jessica crying and telling me the sad news. Thank you for this post, it helped me see God's faithfulness even more clearly. It made me cry, but it also made me rejoice in the One who comforts, heals, and, above all, saves! Continuing to pray for your sweet family!
Mariana

Oak Abbey said...

Thank you for sharing your heart Jen. Having a seriously ill child gives us an awareness of the preciousness of every moment which, unfortunately, not every parent has. And the truth is that their future is no more certain than ours, they are just blind to that fact. So, yes, in more ways than I can count, I see the blessing in the hardship, and I believe all things work together for good. You are a courageous and wonderful family. May your family rise up and call you blessed. Continued strength, peace, and healing.
Cheryl Anne

Unknown said...

I can't believe it's been a year. When I read this I thought back on the day that you called me to tell me about Sarah, the day that she had surgery and when we saw her in the hospital. Then there were the days between then and now when we have seen her go through her treatments and therapy; the days that were difficult and the moments that brought us so much rejoicing and thankfulness to the Lord. This is a hard road, and it gives strength to know that God's faithfulness and love always last. May God continue to carry you and the family as you go on this road with Sarah. I've been encouraged by how you cling to the Lord for strength for everything, even the little things, and how you and Dave are so strong together in this. We are praying for Sarah....

Love,

Grace

eva said...

Jen,
What an encouragement to see how God has proven faithful to you and your family through this trial. He is truly enough! We will be continuing to pray for Sarah. Thank you for sharing God's grace with all of us through this blog. Love,
Eva

The Murphys said...

You guys are such an example; God's grace shines so brightly through you and Dave. I love that hymn you shared. This stanza from Amazing Grace is also so encouraging:
The Lord has promised good to me
His word my hope secures
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures.

We love you guys and keep Sarah in our prayers!

Jean said...

Standing with you all daily in prayer. God is GOOD!

Love,
Jean and fam

DC said...

My heart goes out to you all Jen! Carrying little Sarah on my heart and praying for her and the family. Grateful to hear good reports.

Emily said...

We are praying for you guys!

We love you!

emily & charles