June 30, 2009

34 - Happy birthday!!

I always remind Jen that she will always be older than me...and, I like to remind her of that often.

This past year has been a bumpy ride for our family, and it is true to say that this year has hit Jen harder than anyone else in our family. Jen is the one who is at home all day with Sarah, working with OTs, PTs, and all kinds of other therapists. Jen is the one who has to patiently deal with Sarah all day, through all of her irrational behavior. Jen is the one who primarily takes Sarah to Hopkins for her all day infusions. Jen is also the one who takes care of the 3 other kids we have all day, while I'm at work. Considering what Jen does all day long, I look at work like its a vacation. She works much harder than I do!

The kids are SO excited about blessing mom on her birthday. They are literally counting down the days til her birthday. This is just a picture into how much they love their mom!

In asking what we should get mom for her birthday, they each had their own suggestion...which ironically, really identifies something of their personality as well. Caleb was easy...he wanted to get mom candy. I'm sure there is a secret ploy for him to be able to eat the candy himself, but nonetheless, we still got mom her favorite candy (chewy, fruity anything...in this case, swedish fish and chewy jolly ranchers). Mikaela picked an outfit. She walked all over Target and was sizing everything up. She ended up with something nice. Alethea, very thoughtfully, remembered that Jen looked for a book last time they were at the library, but it was checked out. She had the idea of going to Borders to get the book. So we went and bought "My sister's keeper" for Jen to read. I ended up getting her tickets to the American Idol tour at the Verizon Center. Jen's hooked on that show big time.

The kids also wanted to make Jen a cake. I think this was partially motivated by one of our favorite shows called "Ace of Cakes". They were inspired and off we went. All three agreed that mom's favorite colors were green and orange. Then Alethea drew up the master plans for the cake.


So, this was our goal. We scaled it back a bit to 3 tiers, and went for it...






Caleb was pretty much good for nothing but licking the bowl of icing. That kid is a total goof ball.

...in the end, we achieved our goal close enough.




On the morning of her birthday, she'll wake up to this cake, her presents, and her favorite breakfast.

Happy birthday babe! I love you, the kids love you, and we are grateful for everything you do for our family!

Dave

6 comments:

Jean said...

happy birthday, friend!! don't worry - you'll always be younger than I am. :)

Megan said...

It's the most beautiful birthday cake ever! You are an amazing woman and I'm so grateful God gave you to my son. Happy Birthday Jen!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Jen! What a touching way to spend your birthday...all the kids were SO thoughtful! These kind of moments are so special...I'm sure you'll cherish this forever.

Briana Almengor said...

Happy Birthday, Jen!
Dave, you and the kids did a great job on the cake. Sounds like you all made a wonderful bday celebration for Jen. love reading about the dailies of your life. Would love to catch up in person sometime soon.

tbranchaw said...

Jen, I don't know you very well, but you are a hero in the Lord's eyes (and mine too, but I'm not as important!). I pray you would have much joy in this next year and that God would continue to strengthen you in any trials you may have. God bless you!

Megan said...

Happy belated birthday my friend, I miss bumping into you at random places. Grace to you-
megan roca